This is an in-box look at Phoenix Models
offering of an obscure conversion of an obscure subject. The Taiwanese CM-21 APC is an interesting beast; a design based on the M113 but built to Republic of China Army standards. Various variants have been produced from 1982 to 2009.
- CM-21/A1 - Personnel carrier.
- CM-22 - Mortar carrier for 107mm/120mm mortar(similar to M106).
- CM-23 - Mortar carrier for 81mm mortar(similar to M125).
- CM-24/A1 - Ammo carrier, can carry either 90 rounds of 155mm or 42 rounds 203mm
- CM-25 - TOW launcher.
- CM-26 - Command Track(similar to M577)
- CM-27/A1 - Artillery Tractor
The parts come packaged in a clear plastic case that opens at the top. The instructions consist of one glossy sheet of diagrams and photographs. The painting and marking scheme is also included on the same page. One extensive sheet of high quality decals is included, including a lot of spares.
The conversion itself is spread across three sprues. The colour is odd but the plastic is of a normal consistently.
There is minimal flash and no molding errors I've noticed so far. One small part did break in transit on mine, but nothing that can't be fixed. There are some rough spots on the parts in places that may be remnants of tool marks. The inside (not visible) sides have very distinctive tool marks.
Detail is good overall. The tie-downs on the roof replacement section are well defined without being overly large. There are no ejection pin marks in any places that would be visible on the completed model. From a cursory look, the conversion appears it would work with a Tamiya kit as well, although Phoenix Models
has listed it as being for the Academy M113A2.
- Simple conversion within the skills of a novice modeler
- Injection plastic; a nice reprieve from resin parts once in awhile
- Cheap and readily available
- Unique subject
- No photoetch. Not a big deal for everyone of course
- Very basic instructions. Prepare your references!
- Pretty basic conversion overall, room for plenty more detail to be added.
A definite buy from Phoenix Models
for anyone looking to model modern Taiwanese vehicles or seeking to expand their collection of M113 variants. It could be complemented with the Legend M113 detail set to correct many missing details from the base kit for a truly detailed replica. I'll probably be buying at least one more to build a mortar version. Watch for a build review of this kit in the future!