login   |    register
Campaigns: Incoming!
This is for the Incoming! Artillery campaign.
Hosted by Richard S.
M109A6 allmost done.... I think... ;)
Jurgen
Visit this Community
Limburg, Belgium
Joined: October 29, 2003
KitMaker: 651 posts
Armorama: 510 posts
Posted: Monday, September 13, 2004 - 04:20 AM UTC


Just needs weathering and the antennas fixed, and then it's done...
Had a lot of fun building this big gun, going on a weeks holliday and after returning, I'll read you guys comments and hope to get it fixed before october 1st...
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Joined: May 16, 2002
KitMaker: 17,545 posts
Armorama: 13,624 posts
Posted: Monday, September 13, 2004 - 04:49 AM UTC
Looks like it is coming along nicley. Couple things though. 1st, the tracks are going the wrong way. The V shape of the pad should point down in the front. Yours are pointing up. The water jugs on the turret need the straps painted and the little shelf they sit on should be hull color. Also, the piece sticking up on the front, right ,upper hull area is an overfrlow for the radiator and has a "S" shaped hose coming off of it. Lastly, the exhuast pipe, behind the grills on the right side of hull should be drilled out and a piece of fine screen placed over the opening and then drybrushed a rusty color.

Here is a good referance photo that shows all the areas I am talking about.


Hope that helps.
Jurgen
Visit this Community
Limburg, Belgium
Joined: October 29, 2003
KitMaker: 651 posts
Armorama: 510 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 02:17 AM UTC
Thanks Gino,
I could have known about the tracks being on backwards.. (really dumb mistake, hope I can get it fixed cause I glued the tracks...) I will try to drill the exhaust-pipe, but I don't think I can get it as rusted as they normally look, 'cause I'm really bad at making things look rusted....
The cans and there holders, I will fix that thanks for noticing!
About the s-shaped pipe, I wanted to scracth-build it but I had NO clue as to how to do that... any suggestions maybe?

Thanks for answering!
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Joined: May 16, 2002
KitMaker: 17,545 posts
Armorama: 13,624 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 04:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

About the s-shaped pipe, I wanted to scracth-build it but I had NO clue as to how to do that... any suggestions maybe?


For the pipe, I use rubber coated, copper wire, pull the wire out, cut it slightly shorter than the overall length then put it back into the rubber coating. This allows for the end of the tube to be open. Bend the coated wire into the shape you want and that is it. Glue on with superglue.

Hope that makes sense.
targetdriver
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
Joined: September 21, 2004
KitMaker: 40 posts
Armorama: 35 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 05:14 AM UTC
Also, one other thing you could do is make a mantlet cover to hide the seam on the mantlet is to use some tissue paper diluted in white glue and then painted with your base coat color.

I used the ends from the kit part by scribing along the backside of it with a hobby knife. Then I used super glue to connect both peices to the tissue paper. That way, you can elevate the gun tube, if you didn't glue it in place.

Also, Skybow has a really awesome seperate track links kit! I found mine at the LHS for about $15 US. It was a very easy to put together and looked exactly like the real thing when I took my model out to a motor pool and compared model to actual Paladin.

Last but not least, I used some tule or tuling (spelling may be wrong) either way it's a fine mesh fabric, like a veil for the exhaust cover. It was from left over material from my wife's wedding dress - I swear!

Good Job!
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Joined: May 16, 2002
KitMaker: 17,545 posts
Armorama: 13,624 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 05:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text


Also, one other thing you could do is make a mantlet cover to hide the seam on the mantlet is to use some tissue paper diluted in white glue and then painted with your base coat color.



Scott,
I missed that. You are right, I used lead foil on mine, with the barrel glued into position. I used bridal tule for the mesh on the exhuast pipe too.

Jurgen,
Also the armored Pantel cover (dome-shaped object on front left of turret, in front of the loader's hatch) window (square, flat front part) should be a dark greenish black color, high gloss. It is very thick glass.

Post some more pics once done.